Around the World – Some Interesting and Some Disturbing News
- The latest from the USA – TikTok has expanded its partnership with Shopify to add in-app shopping — a first for the video app. Participating Shopify merchants will be able to sell products in a new shopping tab on their profiles as well as a link to products in their TikTok posts;
- India prohibits Mastercard from signing up new customers or issuing new credit cards as punishment for breaking the country’s data localisation requirements;
- Pakistan bans TikTok, for the fourth time;
- China clamps down on overseas IPO listings;
- On 9 August EFA attended the CSEA Round Table on data governance. The fully recorded video of the event is here – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnvh2JZx8PA and the report “Strengthening Data Governance in Africa” can be accessed here –http://cseaafrica.org/strengthening-data-governance-in-africa/ Recommended reading!
- The administration of President Joe Biden has kicked off the Prosper Africa Build Together initiative by requesting $80m from Congress to build trade and investment between the US and Africa. EFA has been in touch with Prosper Africa and plans for cooperation.
- SA’s AmCham held a fascinating event on digital taxation with speakers from Deloitte, PwC, Covington, and (representing EFSA) PayU. A Wetransfer link to a recording of the session is here: https://we.tl/t-E5Hr2YS8Aw
- DHL held an event on Women in Ecommerce with EFSA’s Lauretta Ngakane on 31 August.
Become a member
Join the Ecommerce Forum South Africa and benefit from industry insights in South Africa and Africa.
Sign up to newsletter
Sign up to our newsletter and stay informed of the progress we are making at the Ecommerce Forum South Africa with government during Coronavirus.